Thursday, June 24, 2010

Garden Emergency Kit

In Minnesota, everyone knows what a Winter Emergency Car Kit is and most folks I know carry one starting about Thanksgiving time and put it away about Easter time. I got my first Winter Emergency Car Kit as a Christmas gift one year! Don’t laugh. My mom wanted to make sure I’d be prepared in case my jalopy didn’t make it from point A to point B.

The gift/kit contained jumper cables, a flashlight, an empty 3 lb coffee can with a roll of toilet paper inside, a Tupperware container containing a box of stick matches and some candles, an old enameled coffee cup and some camping dishes in case I needed to melt snow, a blanket, mittens, lock de-icer, and a small shovel to dig my car out of a snow bank, if needed.

During the gardening season, I load up the Explorer with what I call my Garden Emergency Kit! Sounds crazy, I know, but you never know when you’re going to be asked to help dig something out, snip something off, or help move something from point A to point B. My kit contains a shovel, a set of shears (a back up pair and not my expensive ones), a trowel, gloves, socks, sneakers, garden boots, and a couple bottles of water. I also keep a small tarp, a couple of those cardboard flats, and a short stack of pots – just in case.

Anybody else travel with a Garden Emergency Kit during the growing season? If so, what’s in your kit?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails