Monday, May 28, 2012

Lying Fallow

2011 was a big year and Auntie K's Garden needed to lie fallow. In addition to the poor weather (we had just finished a winter with the most snowfall I can remember -- followed by a cool rainy spring) there were lots of losses. My neighbor and good friend (also a gardener) died last March of Leiomyosarcoma. I was with her for her last 8 weeks, which was a huge privilege and an emotional journey. (She shared many plants with me before she died, so she does live on.) And, in June, my adorable canine companion of 14 years, Monty the wonderdog, went to dog heaven--another painful loss. I miss him terribly.

But, it wasn't all losses. 2011 brought new love, which is exciting and life giving and wonderful. We share a love of the outdoors and we spent much of the summer hiking, biking, or canoeing. (He's known as "the Riverman," but I think this year, he might be better known as "the Farmer.")

With so much change, I was pretty emotionally spent and didn't feel I had it in me to blog daily -- or even less frequently. And, so, Auntie K's Garden lay fallow.

I'm back at Auntie K's Garden, and perhaps you will be, too. Or, maybe you've just found us! Earlier this year, the Riverman and I decided to do some urban farming at Auntie K's garden. So, in addition to the posts about the flowers and bugs and weather, I'll keep you up to date on the Urban Farm.

3 comments:

mm said...

I'm so happy you're posting again!

Alison said...

Glad to see you back. Sorry you had such an up and down year.

GardenGoddess said...

Thanks MM. It's good to be back.

Thanks, too, Alison. It was a BIG year, but I wouldn't have traded it. Just too much emotion to be able to write coherently.

Related Posts with Thumbnails