Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day Reminder from Mother Nature

It’s Mother’s Day and I’m itching to get plants in the ground. But, even with our early and warm spring this year, we had a freeze warning last night, a reminder from Mother Nature that our last frost date is May 15th and we shouldn’t get too far ahead of ourselves. So, I’m going to heed Mother Nature, be patient, and wait another week to dig in the dirt.

The cold weather did not, however, prevent me from attending three plant sales yesterday, where herbs topped my list. And, I did get a few things for our new community garden. But, my favorite purchase of the day was an alpine clematis called “Pink Flamingo.” It has pink and white tulip shaped flowers and “Dr. Seuss-y” looking seed heads.

The cold did not prevent me from doing some weeding, either. Weeding is such satisfying work—giving me such a sense of accomplishment. I love how the gardens look when they are weed free. It allows me to get a good sense of the garden – what’s working, what’s not – who can stay where they are and who needs a new home. Of course, I’m going to wait until next week to start moving things around. . .

I’m Auntie K, and welcome to my garden!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails