Sunday, June 13, 2010

Edelweiss and other Garden Songs

I planted some Edelweiss in the rock wall by my lilac, and every time I walk by there, I burst into song. I can’t help it! It’s Pavlovian: See the Edelweiss, Sing the Song. Crazy, right? I could be, but when a neighbor asked what it was and I told her, she also burst into song! So, it’s contagious! I can see the Edelweiss from my chair in the sunroom, and since it was raining yesterday and I couldn't be outside, I was inside brainstorming Garden songs! (Mostly so I could get Edelweiss out of my head.) Here’s my list. I grouped them loosely.

Songs with the word Garden in the Title
Octopus’ Garden in the Sea – The Beatles
Garden Party – Ricky Nelson
Garden Song – Pete Seeger
I Never Promised you a Rose Garden – Lynn Anderson

Songs with Herbs or Fruit in the Title
Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme – Simon & Garfunkel
Don't sit under the Apple Tree – The Andrews Sisters
Strawberry Fields – The Beatles
Blueberry Hill – Fats Domino
Raspberry Beret – Prince
I Heard it Through the Grapevine – Marvin Gaye

Songs with Flowers in the Title
Where have all the Flowers Gone – Peter, Paul, and Mary
Edelweiss – from the Sound of Music
The Days of Wine and Roses – Andy Williams
The Rose – Bette Midler
Lo How a Rose e’er Blooming
Roses are Red, My Love – Bobby Vinton
Tiptoe through the Tulips – Tiny Tim
A White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation – Marty Robbins
The Holly and the Ivy
Willow Weep for Me – Chad and Jeremy

Songs with Rain in the Title
Singin’ in the Rain – Gene Kelley
Rainy Days and Mondays – Karen Carpenter
Raindrops keep falling on my head – Burt Bacharach or BJ Thomas
I’m Just a Little Black Rain Cloud – Winnie the Pooh
Rain King – Counting Crows
A Day without Rain – Enya
Early Morning Rain – Judy Collins
I Made it Through the Rain – Barry Manilow

Songs with Sun in the Title
Here Comes the Sun – George Harrison
Good Day Sunshine – The Beatles
You are the Sunshine of my Life – Stevie Wonder
Sunshine on my Shoulders – John Denver
Canticle of the Sun – Marty Haugen

Songs with a Season in the Title
Four Seasons – Vivaldi
I Love Paris in the Springtime – Frank Sinatra
Summertime – Ella Fitzgerald
Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer – Nat King Cole
Summer Wind – Frank Sinatra
Summer Samba – Patricia Barber
Autumn Leaves – Patricia Barber
Autumn in New York
Winter Wonderland
In the Bleak Mid-Winter

Random Garden Related Songs
Windy – The Association
I'm Looking over a Four Leaf Clover
Inch worm – Muppets
I love you a bushel and a peck
Tupelo Honey – Van Morrison

Add your own if I’ve missed any of your favorites. And, if you come to visit Auntie K’s Garden, I dare you to walk by the Edelweiss without bursting into song!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails