Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Herbs on the Move

I like to use fresh herbs and used to plant a lot of them—not just variety but quantity. I’d plant Rosemary, Thyme, Parsley (curly and flat leafed) Cilantro, Basil, Sage, Tarragon, Dill, Chamomile, Mint, Lovage, Lavender, Chives, Fennel, Hyssop, and Bergamot.

Sometimes, I’d plant them in with the veggies, sometimes in their own spot close to my kitchen door, and one year, I tried planting them a strawberry pot at the suggestion of one of our local nurseries.

They did great in with the veggies, but I sort of forgot about them because they weren’t in my daily path. And, when they were in the plot close to the kitchen, the neighborhood cats seemed to use it as their sandbox. I could never keep the strawberry pot watered thoroughly enough, and the herbs died within weeks. Sigh.

I decided to plant the chives, hyssop, bergamot, and mint in with the flowers in the fragrant garden. It’s sunny and they like it there. I may need to move the chives again, however, because Monty thinks it’s his personal duty to keep them “watered.”

And, I’m taking a cue from my aunt on the rest of the herbs. Last year when I was in Norway, she had a big glazed pot of just a few herbs – thyme, parsley, and rosemary in a sunny spot on the patio. She said she’d bring the pot in the cellar for the winter and everything did fine. So, this spring, I found a big glazed pot and planted just a few herbs – the ones I really use frequently – and stuck them in. My plan is to take the glazed pot inside in the fall and keep the herbs going through the winter. I had luck wintering over my scented geraniums in glazed pots last year, so I’m hopeful about the herbs. I'll keep you posted.

What’s working in your herb garden?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails