Thursday, June 5, 2014

Procrastination Pays Off!

I’ve been planning to build a two (or three) bin composter for going on three years now.  http://auntieksgarden.blogspot.com/2010/10/improvised-compost-bins.html  (Ok, it’ll be 4 years in October.)  I keep dreaming up the “perfect” bin design and the perfect placement.  These things take time!  Meanwhile, the “temporary bins” are looking more and more unsightly.  My neighbors are both patient and understanding.  My former tenant was neither and complained regularly about how unsightly the bins were.

So, this year, I bought the materials and started building.  I got the back wall of a lovely two-bin system finished and saw a post on FB about cedar and wire compost bins available from the county for $45 each!  I had spent significantly more than that on the materials for my bins.  I returned the materials, went up to the county, and bought three (not two) bins for less money than I’d spent on my “perfect” two bin design.

The instructions said it would take approximately 30 minutes to assemble each bin.  I had them all done in about 45 minutes.  I then cleared the spot I wanted them and set them in place.  It took a little bit of work to get them all leveled, but I finally managed to get it right.

Now all I had to do was move the compost from the temporary bins into the permanent bins!  As I started moving the piles, I was glad to have three bins.  I used one bin for stuff that needed a lot of time, one bin for stuff that was “mostly” ready but needed a little more time, and one bin for stuff that was ready to use!  (With the old bins, I couldn’t get in there to fork around and see whether anything was ready to use.  The new bins have doors!) 


The space where the “temporary” bins were is now ready for the new patio area, which I’m hoping to have completed by the July 4th holiday.  I know what you’re thinking… I’ll procrastinate about the patio, too.  

Could be… But, I’m highly motivated to finish it, since it will be a lovely spot to have coffee in the morning and a cocktail in the evening after a long day in the garden!  

Stay tuned…

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails