Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Second Time Around

“Love is lovelier, the second time around,” croons Frank Sinatra. It’s a song about falling in love after you’ve been around the block a time or two. But, it’s the song that came into my head the other day when I saw the lavender blooming again this year!

One of the gardens I rearranged this year was the sunny hill. Last fall, I put in some of Betsy’s purple salvia and some asters with a few lancifolia at the rock border. I hated the asters (they were supposed to be low growing and aren’t) and the salvia looked lonely, so I added some lavender – 5 of them, actually. They really like the sunny slope and look great with the salvia. I trimmed the flower stems off (yes, I saved them) and thought that would be it for the year.

Imagine my surprise when I walked by and a couple of the plants were sending out new flower stems! I had no idea lavender would re-bloom. Frankly, after I was told I’d never be able to get lavender to bloom in my setting at all, I was happy when they all bloomed the first time this year. So, a second bloom is a thrill!

I don’t know if it’s “lovelier” but it’s definitely “just as lovely,” the second time around.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails