Thursday, September 30, 2010

Woodpecker Elevator

When I’m in the garden, I typically hear the birds before I see them. Last night when I was watering, I heard the rat-a-tat-tat of the downy woodpecker. I stopped and looked around to see if it was in one of my trees or in a neighbor’s tree. I spotted him -- waaaaaay up in the silver maple. It drummed methodically down the branch and then hopped to another branch, drumming up. I laughed (quietly) as I watched. It reminded me of an elevator.

I watched for a while and then went to the house to get the camera – hoping it would be there when I got back. It was! Still drumming away up and down the branches in the silver maple. Trying to follow the acrobatic bird was a challenge, but I was able to get a few shots before it took off for another tree.

I was surprised to see when I zoomed in on this one that his head is blurred – showing him in action! I'm grateful to you for encouraging my photos and for being patient with me as I try to improve my photographic skills.

4 comments:

Marguerite said...

I'm glad to see you're taking photos and enjoying it. The more you take the easier it will be I think. (that's my theory anyway) Love the action shot of the woodpecker.

Grower Jim said...

I have several species of woodpeckers in my garden and I love to listen to them tapping and calling. Feel free to link this post to my Creature Feature meme posted today!

Anonymous said...

I love seeing woodpeckers, but you are right, I usually hear them, then can't find them to get a photo. Nice capture.

GardenGoddess said...

Marguerite; lol. I AM taking more photos. I'm not sure about the "enjoying" part! I hope that doing it more and more will help me get better. I know that's the case with writing. I think I got lucky with the action shot!

Grower Jim; Thank you for the invite! I did link to it. And, I shall now add your meme to my "Themes and Memes" page! (I had a post earlier this year called Creature Feature and am delighted to see someone's done a meme with the same name!)

Donna; I had to stand there looking up for quite a while before I spotted it. Thank you for your kind words.

Related Posts with Thumbnails