Sunday, June 3, 2012

Rogue Raspberries

I like to think I'm an observant person. But, when I got home from the Little League tournament yesterday, the Riverman informed me that we had actual tomatoes and peppers, which he saw when he was weeding. I hadn't noticed them in the morning before I left, but there they were! So, when I went on my walk through the gardens this morning, I went really slowly -- paying close attention to what was going on not only with the veggies we planted this year, but also with the flower beds.

In the veggie bed, I noticed another tomato and a few more peppers but no new ripe strawberries. (I did get to eat one yesterday!) And, in the flower beds, the yellows are coming out now that the blues and pinks are fading--coreopsis, primroses, and stellas. The martagon is *just* getting ready to bloom. (A friend to whom I gave a clump a few years ago said hers started blooming on Thursday, so I've been on the lookout for them.)

I checked out the raspberry patch in the back and it looks great! I don't think there'll be enough for jam this year, but we'll definitely have enough for several breakfasts and snacks. Then, I walked through the hosta hill. "It's filling in nicely," I thought. "Starting to look really established." I looked again and started laughing because at the top of the hill -- tucked between two hostas and on the other side of the sidewalk from the raspberry patch -- was a raspberry!

My neighbor was reading her paper outside and heard me laughing, so she came over to see what was going on. I pointed to the rogue raspberry and she started laughing, too. Then we both noticed a tiny raspberry coming up in the crack on the steps and laughed even harder! She asked if I planned to let them grow where they were or if I intended to move them. I think I have to move the one growing in the steps, but may leave the one in the hostas. We'll see...

Have you had plants come up in unexpected places? If so, have you left them or returned them to their "proper" location? Post a comment and let me know!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails