Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tree Trauma

A few weeks ago, I posted about the trees that are being marked for removal in my neighborhood. Last week, the city came through and “trimmed” the healthy trees in the neighborhood – including the oaks. (Some sources say August is okay for trimming oaks, others say it should be done later to prevent oak wilt.)

Trimming the trees is a good thing – especially if limbs are getting close to the power lines. Nobody wants the power lines coming down because a limb is lying on it. But, I’m wondering how healthy the trees will remain if they keep being trimmed in Ys or in half. Doesn’t trimming like this weaken a tree? It seems that if a strong wind came up – and we’ve had our share of strong storms this season – trees trimmed like this would be more likely to split in half or go down entirely.

The thing that really perplexes me is that the city plants the trees! Why plant trees that will exceed the height of the power lines at all?! Don’t get me wrong, I love the trees. They provide shade for the street (and my home). I want them to be around for a long, long time. But, I’m afraid they won’t be if they keep being trimmed like this. I think that rather than keep trimming the trees into unnatural shapes, the city should put the power lines underground and let the trees be trees.

1 comment:

Carolyn ♥ said...

Bravo! I couldn't agree more. I happen to live in such a neighborhood. It is so nice not to have powerlines.

Related Posts with Thumbnails